- Established in 1999, Maersk GSC is Global in-house service center of A.P. Moller - Maersk
- From initially focusing on offshoring opportunities, GSCs’ competencies have grown significantly
- It comprises of best minds in engineering, digital innovation, finance, commercial, operations & IT
- 12,500+ employees across India, China and Philippines and is largest constituent of Maersk T&L
THE NEED FOR AUTOMATION
- Maersk operates with a lean legal team, responsible for managing compliance, contracts, notices & litigations, legal support across 3 countries & 6 facilities.
- With rapid changes in support centre operations, there were many moving parts, including resources
- The manual process of monitoring Regulatory risks wasn’t effective as the compliance officer had to rely solely on declaration from process owners across countries & functions
- Laws & compliance obligations are evolving faster and it needed a source everyone can rely on
THE (IM)PERFECT TIMINGS
The project was initiated in mid April, 2020 when lockdown just begun globally.
Everyone was learning to adapt to the new challenges of working from home, discussing on Zoom call; suddenly they were handed over the project with strict timelines.
- 100+ resources (Maersk, Lawrbit & Legal partners at China & Philippines) were deployed on the project
- Both teams were to ensure every information was available right on time, constantly changing regulations during the Covid period were factored in along with regular compliance
- The original project plans were altered on the go as personal meetings was no longer an option.
- Due to health issues, some members from our legal partner weren’t available in middle of the project
INSTILLING CONFIDENCE & EXERTING CONTROL
- Knowing challenges ahead of us, everyone including senior leaders from both organisations committed themselves to closely monitor every deadline, challenge and misses
- Weekly reviews were initiated and were closely monitored to ensure there wasn’t any slip
- Law Firm engagements in China & Philippines helped bring confidence in teams in those countries about our quality & coverage
- Multiple meetings / training sessions, individuals calls with end users were arranged before & post GoLive of the application
Maersk enjoys benefits of our lifetime support
- Regulatory updates and consequent changes in the applicable compliances are updated on Near Real Time basis in GCMS
- With our Operational Support, day to day management of application instance, end user query handling for application users across all entities is responsibility of our team.
- Zero involvement of client’s IT team
- Board of Directors now have Better Control over the group level compliance adherence
- Everyone’s on same page w.r.t understanding the compliance obligations & its criticality
- Resulted in better visibility, transparency and accountability in the system
- Time saving in reporting and monitoring compliance at each level
- Helped reduce Cost of Compliance
- 4,000+ Compliance from 200+ Central, State & city levels laws, rules across India, Philippines and China
- Project signed up, implemented and delivered during Covid 19 period
- Law Firms were engaged in China and Philippines for project Delivery
- Mandarin & Filipino laws were translated to English
- 3rd party compliance Service providers given system access & training
- Remote project implementation, that too during peak of Pandemic
- Go-Live within 4.5 months for all entities and locations